BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER:
This new age procedure that has been performed across the globe since 1990 with over 20 million case studies might just be the answer for some eye conditions. If you suffer from nearsightedness, farsightedness or astigmatism and don’t want the hassle of wearing glasses or contacts on a daily basis – perhaps consulting with your ophthalmologist to see if you are a good candidate for LASIK should be your next step.
LASIK stands for “laser in situ keratomileusis” this in turn means to use a laser to reshape the cornea underneath the corneal flap. This is performed by a highly qualified ophthalmologist to create a thinly hinged corneal flap using a microkeratome. Once the underlying cornea is exposed, the surgeon can then reshape the corneal tissue to the unique pre-determined shape for the desired vision of you, the patient.
Good candidates for LASIK:
- no known eye diseases
- over 18 years of age and in a general good health
- vision must be stable for at least a year, therefore your prescription should not get progressively stronger.
- cornea thickness should be think enough to have LASIK
- is able to take a few days off work for recovery.
Benefits of LASIK:
LASIK has been proven to be safe and effective with the careful selection and pre-screening done by a qualified surgeon for the best suitable patient with the right expectation of the outcome of the surgery.
- most forms of nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism can be accurately corrected.
- as the laser is guided buy a computer, the results are precise and accurate
- for most cases the desired result can obtained buy a single treatment or surgery.
- over 50% of patients may obtain a 20/20 vision
- nearly 90% of patients may obtain a 20/40 vision or better.
Consult with your ophthalmologist for the full benefits of the LASIK treatment and to see whether you could put to rest your old reading glasses and contact lenses for a new and improved vision!